Three-Toed Woodpecker Uintah/Duchesne Cty.

This weekend I spent some time in the Whiterocks River area, and at Chepeta
Lake.  The most notable sightings were 2 separate AMERICAN THREE-TOED
WOODPECKER.  The first was seen while hiking up an old logging trail in an area
that had a larg3e patch of dead trees on a north facing slope.  I was standing
under the tree when the bird began calling. The area is accesible from FR 117,
although I didn't take milage, I can say it is about 3-4 miles from where the
pavement ends on the road up from Whiterocks.  There is a gate to the left and
up this road about 3/4 of a mile is where this bird was.  The second ATTW was
seen flying across FR 110 (FR 117 loops to Pole Creek and back towards
Roosevelt, the road to Chepeta from FR 117 is 110) where the West Fork of the
Whiterocks River flows under the road.  This trip was to look for Blue and
Ruffed Grouse to photograph, but neither were found...

Other species seen/heard:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
MacGillivray's Warbler (?still on mountain)
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Flicker
Clark's Nutcracker
Stellar's Jay
W. Scrub-Jay (in juniper woodland near whiterocks)
Common Raven
American Kestrel
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
White-breasted Nuthatch
Mountain Chickadee

and several Coyotes near camp the first night!

Good Birding

Tim
Salt Lake City, UT and Southwest, WY
http://www.timaverybirding.com