UOS Quick Trip - Ground-Dove in Morgan County

As of noon today, Sunday, I had talked with Aaron Smith, who initially
saw the Ground-Dove on the Morgan wastewater grounds.  He hadn't seen it
since, but was going to watch for it.

If anyone is planning to run up there without calling Aaron or Arnold,
please be extremely careful around the UP railroad tracks.  The dirt
road that Kris mentioned that runs under I-84, crosses the 2 tracks,
then there is a gate close to the tracks, plus another gate several
hundred yards further east.  Because both gates will ordinarily be
locked, there will be a tendency to stop in front of the first gate,
thus, if there are more than 2-3 cars, there will be a problem at the RR
crossing.  Because the UP RR at this location is a very busy,
double-tracked main line, there is potential danger at the grade
crossing.  Further, if you happen to wait for one train to cross in
front of you, don't begin to drive across the tracks immediately, as
there may be another train on the other track.  Wait a few seconds and
look down both ways before you cross.  If the UP begins to think that
there is a potential problem with too many cars at that point, they may
close the crossing except for only Arnold, who needs it for his job.

Hopefully, we will get some further information about the Ground-Dove in
the next 12-18 hours.

Steve Carr
UOS Field Trip Coordinator