Jordanelle wetlands American redstart

An American redstart was seen early this afternoon (about 1:30 p.m.?) in
the Jordanelle wetlands. It was observed in exactly the same place as
last year, about 275 yards downstream from the gate and slightly
upstream from the weir, in the trees east of the road. The bird sported
a band on its right leg, so assumedly this may be one of the birds that
nested in this area last year. It is very active and was watched chasing
off yellow warblers and making excursions across the river and back.

I drove through the Heber bobolink meadows at about 4 p.m. and only saw
a few starlings and red-winged blackbirds. I guess they tired themselves
entertaining Jack, which brings to mind the old adage about early birds
and worms. Perhaps its corollary is: the early birder gets the
bobolinks?

Lu Giddings