Long billed Dowitcher, Bullock's Oriole

Two days ago I went looking for whatever Orioles might be responsible for
nests along the Jordan River just upstream of 9800 South.  I checked the  pond
near the parking lot and saw two wading birds.  I was able to view  them for an
extensive period of time.  Two boys came by and threw a rock in  the pond and
I asked them not to scare the birds.  However when they walked  around the
pond they scared up the two Long Billed Dowitchers who flew and  landed within
50 feet of me.  This was a first for me.  Then as I was  walking down the paved
trail I heard a bird near the ground in thick brush  within a few feet.  It
started making a loud clucking sound.  I  thought it must be some type of
grouse or quail.  So I froze to wait it  out.  Not long after a beautiful orange
Bullock's Oriole flew out of that  brush and landed in a tree near me.  Another
item of note was the house  sparrows taking up residence in the swallow nests
under the bridge.

Dennis Williams