Painted Redstart

Hi all,
Jill and Kirsten and I just returned form a weekend of birding/hiking/sight seeing at Zion National Park. We arrived there on Sunday and just got home about 30 minutes or so ago. I haven't completed a complete species list, but I just want to report some of the highlights that we had.

We had a Painted Redstart on the Riverwalk Trail on Sunday. We talked to Melvin in the visitior center and he told us that it had been sighted there the last three years (actually, 2001, 2002 and 2003, according to utahbirds.org).

We also had a Lucy's Warbler in the parking lot this morning just west of the shuttle entrance along the Virgin River. I heard him singing and was able to locate him in one of the trees there.

We went back looking for the Redstart this afternoon and we didn't find him. We did have a Black Swift, however, along the canyon wall near the area where the shuttle bus stops at the Temple of Sinawava stop.

The Painted Redstart, Lucy's Warbler and Black Swift put my Utah life list over 200 species. something that made me very happy.

More later...

Good birding,
Richard