Uncommonly Good Birds at Mantua

Mantua and its reservoir in Box Elder County hosted several uncommonly good birds today. They competed for top billing in my post's title so I couldn't list them all. The highlights included a MERLIN, BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, a HORNED GREBE, and GREATER SCAUP.

The Merlin sat on a low fencepost in the fields south of the reservoir. She was a Prairie Merlin, the color of chocolate milk with a few creamy white plumage features. This little gal offered me several surprises during the sighting. First, that she was there at all was a surprise.  've seen an amazing number of Merlins this winter (maybe a dozen?) but none in the last few weeks.  I thought perhaps the Merlin population had pushed north to breeding grounds already. Today's falcon proved that theory wrong.

The second surprise was that the Merlin looked somewhat sluggish if one can ever use that word on a falcon. She sat with her back to me and surveyed the open, brown fields.  She looked around in a slow and measured way as if she wasn't interested in prey. Usually a hunting Merlin pops its head up and down repeatedly like an agitated periscope. A hunting Merlin will also swivel its head in short jerky movements, pop the periscope, and swivel the other way. This Merlin didn't look as if she was either a fierce predator or interested in prey. That was it...she wasn't interested in prey. In fact, she wasn't much interested in anything.

I stayed inside the truck to use it as a blind, but was only about 80 yards away (I paced it later). Most Merlins I've seen won't allow an approach that close unless they're on a tall perch. As I watched her in the scope I saw something that utterly flabbergasted me. Zzzzziiiiippppp! Zip! A rodent that I assume was a vole ran from the base of the Merlin's post and then out of sight. This animal must have been 3 1/2 feet--max, from that falcon.  I saw the vole zip out again and then amazingly, stop behind a thin screen of grasses and sit up, snout pointed skyward. No reaction whatsoever from the Merlin.

The fencepost where she sat was also topped by a bright orange pea-sized object. I couldn't quite make it out, but bright orange didn't seem to belong on a gray weathered post. I looked downwind for wispy feathers that might have been plucked off a birdy breakfast. Not even one feather clung to the teasel heads or barbed wire. This was a mystery that needed solving.

After 20 minutes or so the Merlin flew across the field in characteristic falcon fashion--dropping low and popping up over obstacles until I lost sight of her. I walked down a muddy road to her former perch to see what I could find. The orange object on top the post was some soft tissue suffused with blood. A fresh, small bloodstain soaked down the south side of the post. The stain shared the south side with a neatly arranged set of entrails dripping toward the ground. Yum, yum.  hat Merlin had just eaten breakfast and was sluggish, taking no interest in the rodent below because she was replete.

The spongy earth around the base of the post was a labyrinth of vole trails. I looked around and found small tufts of dark grayish fur tipped in golden-tan. Some of the tufts were still held together by strips of pliant pink skin. The fur offered another surprise.  Merlins are primarily bird eaters and take their meals on the wing. They take only a very small number of earth-bound prey items. This gal was making use of the abundant supply of rodents in the farm fields and had the luxury of ignoring the hapless one that zipped below her dining table.

The Mystery of the Slow Merlin (could be a Nancy Drew book!) was solved and I returned to the reservoir. Two of the first sightings were of the ever-congenial Mort and Carolyn Somer. The three of us seem to run into each other while birding more than just chance would predict. Anyway, together we enjoyed seeing male and female Barrow's Goldeneyes at the south end of the reservoir and then a Horned Grebe near the boat ramp. The grebe was several hundred yards off shore and alone. It had partially developed the strong yellow crown feathers. The grebe also still showed a dusky whitish/grayish neck so it hasn't yet fully adopted its alternate plumage.

Later I walked 3/4 of a mile or so along the west dike to the north end of the reservoir. I wanted to ID the ducks appearing at the limits of my scope's reach. Most of them were Redheads and Greater Scaup (20-30), but I also saw an Eared Grebe, several Lesser Scaup, Canvasbacks, one Ring-necked Duck drake, Mallards, Buffleheads, Common and Barrow's Goldeneyes, Common Mergansers, and one Red-breasted Merganser drake.

Seeing the raft of ducks at the north end isn't easy. Should you attempt to see the Greater Scaup at this location, be dressed for the weather (I don't care what the temperature was today; the winds at Mantua made it positively Arctic), be prepared to walk 1-2 miles round trip along the dike, wear boots for muddy conditions, and expect to peer through openings in the curtain of trees at water's edge. That's what it took to get within perhaps 100-150 feet to see these ducks with a scope. You'll also need to be careful not to alarm the Mallards and American Coots because they flush easily and then alarm the other ducks. The Aythya species--both scaup species and the Canvasbacks--were much more staid.

Other birds in or around the reservoir today included American Wigeon, just one drake Cinnamon Teal, a pair of Double-crested Cormorants, Killdeer, Ring-billed Gulls, Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrels, a Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flickers, Black-capped Chickadees, American Robins, Song Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, House Finches, Pine Siskins, and American Goldfinches.

Kris