S.E. Utah- 2/12&13 (Black Rosy-Finches)

Hello Everyone,

My wife and took a much needed trip to Southeastern Utah this past weekend. On Saturday, we went to Arches NP. On Sunday, we visited the Matheson Preserve (TNC property on the west side of Moab), then we drove a loop that skirted the La Sal Mountains and followed the Colorado River for a while. We ended the day and our trip with sunset in Canyonlands.

At Arches, we had very little bird activity on this foggy Saturday. Just when I thought we were going to get out of there with 2 species (Junco & Raven), my wife noticed a large flock of birds flying in as were nearing Delicate Arch on foot. I knew they were Rosy Finches but realized how difficult they are to see and ID in flight. Fortuntately, I did get nice looks at at least a few and I can say that most were likely BLACK ROSY-FINCHES in this flock of at least 100 birds. This was a life bird for me and certainly an unexpected surprise. A later surprise came with a MERLIN perched in a tree south of Moab.

At the Matheson Preserve on Sunday, we saw at least 10 NORTHERN FLICKERS, at least 50 JUNCOS, a few SONG and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS and a nice flock of BUSHTITS with a few probably BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES (heard only) and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS mixed in. There were also several TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES, AMERICAN ROBINS and CEDAR WAXWINGS were flying around and feeding on any fruiting trees they could find. There were a few RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS out near the viewing blind and a check of the Colorado River from nearby Kane Creek Blvd. produced a female COMMON GOLDENEYE.

Things were pretty quiet as we approached the La Sal Mountains. Amanda, my wife and superb spotter, noticed a nice immature GOLDEN EAGLE that soared directly over us providing nice looks at the windows in the wings and the pale golden nape (because of this feature, I thought it was a Bald at first). In the Junipers, we found a few flocks of BUSHTITS and MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES. There a few WESTERN SCRUB-JAYS along this route but I was hoping for Pinyon but that would have to wait.

As we drove along the Colorado River, my wife kept a lookout for ducks. We found 5 HOODED MERGANSERS (2m,3f), a few mallards and 4 more COMMON GOLDENEYE (all females).

Finally, we headed up to Canyonlands and, after a brief spat of car trouble, we made it there before sunset...just before. On our way in, we came upon an enormous flock of PINYON JAYS (200+). This made 5 corvid species for the day (counting AMERICAN CROWS and B-B MAGPIE (nest building? or remodeling?) in Moab and the ubiquitous COMMON RAVENS). As I was setting up my scope for my wife to get a look at a Pinyon Jay, the flock seemed to be getting restless. Just then, my wife saw a falcon swoop low over the road, just off to our right and close in on the Pinyon Jays. Several were screaming at this point but the one that this pale falcon managed to grab had the most compelling reason to do so. The jay was brought to the ground at first and then the falcon flew off with some difficulty carrying its dinner. Initially, based on its pale color, I thought this may have been a Prairie Falcon but, after consulting some guides, I am fairly certain this was a female "PRAIRIE" MERLIN. I was surprised at how pale this bird was. Its back was a light, sandy brown and had it not been for the pointed wings, I may have called this bird a Barn or Short-eared Owl. It was just a bit larger than the jay in its talons and I have a feeling that a Prairie Falcon would have been much larger and wouldn't have had any trouble carrying a jay. This encounter was incredibly exciting. The flock of Jays disappeared within seconds after the kill. The sun disappeared soon after we reached the Grand View lookout.

Overall a great trip for the "Off season" in the Moab area.

Good Birding,
Matt & Amanda Williams
Provo, UT