Bohemian Waxwings in Ogden

This morning between 8:30 and 9:30 I saw many BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS in Ogden, Weber County.  The specific location was a block north of Weber State University and near the 36th and Birch Street intersection.

I estimated the percentage of Bohemians in the first waxwing flock to be 10-20%.  The others, of course, were Cedar Waxwings and there were hundreds perched in the top of a tree.  After they flew, tight and wheeling at treetop level, I continued to hunt up others.  I came across Bohemians again in a tree behind the university's Central Heating Plant on Edvalson Street (very near the first sighting).  I parked in the 'Totally Unauthorized Parking and You Can't Afford the Fine' parking lot behind the plant and hooked the scope to the window.  This flock numbered only about one hundred birds and I had a chance to count individuals. About half were Bohemians.

The details of the Bohemian Waxwings' plumage is a reminder that their Creator is surely an artist. The black and white of the Bohemian's face must have been painted with the finest-tipped camel hair brush.  The blush of rust extending away from the gape and forehead and up into the crest was airbrushed by the most delicate hand.  What instrument could possibly have edged the black wingtips so definitively in yellow and red and white?  But enough of poetry and back to drollery. The sun warmed the rust undertail coverts and it made me feel all toasty inside.  I might have to paint a room in my house that toasty color to offset those brisk winter days. I shall proceed to the paint store to find a paint chip labeled, 'Bohemian Waxwing Undertail'.

I must also make atonements to Cedar Waxwings everywhere because I described one as 'plain and puny' the last time I saw a mixed waxwing flock.  The Cedar Waxwings were beautiful, too.  One Cedar stretched and spread its flight feathers as I watched.  Four tiny, blood red drops of pigment at the ends of the rachises were momentarily suspended parallel below the gray secondary flight feathers.  Then the bird folded shut its wing-fan and all I could see was one strong drop of red.  And what are the words for the soft yellow color on the Cedar Waxwing's belly?  Lemon Meringue?  Custard?  Banana Cream?  Is there a pie sale on at Marie Callender's?  But I digress...

Another joy was to listen to the mixed call notes of the waxwing chorus.  The Bohemian's call is more robust, lisping, seedy, and one-pitched; the Cedars called their familiar thin, high-pitched wheeze that sometimes drops off at the end.  Together the music, the beauty of the birds and the sunlit morning is a winter experience everyone should seek.

Because this post is not yet long enough, I'll tell you that my sighting of Bohemian Waxwings was envy-inspired and you, too can try it.  I saw Bohemians in Summit County a couple weeks ago but have still grown green with each passing report of Bohemians along the Wasatch Front.  "I saw a Bohemian in my yard today."  "We saw Bohemians in the cemetery in our town today."  "I saw Bohemians before I got out of bed today."  Green, green, green!

I realized I was waiting for a providential sighting.  This morning I tried a new technique.  The aforementioned green-eyed monster dragged me out to find Bohemian Waxwings during what seemed the most likely time of day--just as the birds are becoming active in the morning.  I chose a residential neighborhood with mature landscaping that included good cover and food tree species.  I tried to investigate every treetop bird or flock, making sure not to pass up even those that looked like starlings from a distance.  And then I'm sure a touch of providence was thrown in.  Voila!  The waxwings appeared.  Now, please go out into your communities between 8:30 and 9:30 tomorrow morning and report back.

Before and after the waxwings I also saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk, a MERLIN, Northern Flickers, a Downy Woodpecker, Steller's and Western Scrub-jays, Black-billed Magpies, Black-capped Chickadees, a Townsend's Solitaire, American Robins, House Finches and Pine Siskins.  These birds were on Ogden's east bench, east of Harrison Blvd and between 30th and 46th Streets.

Kris