Apologies and more

I guess yesterday was somewhat twisted!

First: I misspelled the bird's name. It's Ruddy Shelduck, not Ruddy Shellduck. Not too good for a person who thinks he's somewhat scientifically literate.

Second: But worse!! As often as Bill Fenimore posts on the internet, and I've read his many posts, why I called him "Jim" is beyond me.... Jim... ;-) errr... Bill, please accept my apology. I ought to be able to remember a name like... Bill!!

Oh well. There is some more information on the duck. I received a nice e-mail from Mark Stackhouse suggesting that this, like others seen in Utah, is probably and escapee. And that's all right. My response to him is below:

"Thanks Mark. I'm not really interested in the listing, just the sighting. Interesting, if it is from the Salt Lake area, that it does travel... migrate. It would be informative to put together those sightings in Utah, just to see when and where Shelducks have been seen.

This bird is a loner, though Canada Geese are nearby on another part of the golf course. The bird is still there today. From some studying, it has been determined that the bird is probably a female. See:

http://212.187.155.84/pass_06june/Subdirectories_for_Search/ SpeciesKingdoms/0Families_ACrAv_Anseriformes/anatidae/1ACrAvAn_tadorna/ Tadorna_ferruginea/Tadorna_ferruginea.html#AdultsNatDiet"

Bill