Harris's Sparrows

I saw two juvenile HARRIS'S SPARROWS in separate locations today along the Weber/Box Elder County line--one sparrow for each county.  The first one was in Weber County along a canal that intersects the Weber County Pathways Rail Trail and about 1/2 mile south of the trail head.  The sparrow was hanging out with a small group of White-crowned Sparrows in Russian Olives along the canal and a couple hundred feet east of the rail trail.  This Harris's showed the pink bill outlined with a fine line of black on the face, buffy-brown face without additional markings, dark crown, blackish line outlining the lower malar area, white chin, and mottled black along the sides and center of the upper breast.  The remainder of the breast and belly were clear and light. The sparrow turned briefly before flying away and showed very narrow white wingbars that were much less distinct than those of the juvenile White-crowned Sparrows in its company.

The second Harris's Sparrow was also in a scrubby line of Russian Olives bordering a Teasel-choked field and was generally in the company of White-crowned Sparrows.  This bird was in Box Elder County along the eastern border of Willard Bay WMA.  I caught a glimpse of the Harris's flitting along the row of trees and the buffy/brown head really caught my attention.  Later, I relocated the sparrow and was able to watch it in the scope while it preened.  It seemed to me that this bird was adjusting its underdrawers or something--it was very preoccupied with its white lower belly between its legs.  Anyway, the sparrow wore the classic juvenile Harris's Sparrow plumage depicted in Big Sibley.  The brown pattern outlining the auricular ended in a small brown triangle aft of the eye.  The black "V" under the white chin on the upper breast was well-defined, and the black mottling along the sides of the upper breast was nicely visible as the sparrow faced me when it preened.  It looked as though the individual crown feathers were thinly edged with buff.  Between sightings of sparrow #2, I tried to elicit a reaction with a recording --to no avail.  It was just dumb luck that the bird appeared a second time and I got such a good look.  Here's to more dumb luck in 2005!

In addition to the sparrows, the first and third birds of the day were both Prairie Falcons on the high tension towers that run north-south toward Willard Bay.  The first falcon sat quietly; the second tore apart what looked like a starling.  I saw both starling feet go down.  I also saw Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, Spotted Towhees, House Finches, American Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, American Kestrels, Red-tailed Hawks, a Great Blue Heron, Common Ravens, Song Sparrows, and Black-billed Magpies.

To reach this area, take I-15 to exit 354 and turn west/southwest at the end of the exit ramp.  Several hundred yards later, turn right (west) onto 4000N in Farr West--almost directly across from Smith & Edwards.  You'll also see the sign for Willard Bay's South Marina at this intersection.  Drive west until you see the sign pointing south to the rail trail.  You'll find parking at the trail head.  Continue west on 4000N and turn right (north) when the road ends at a "T" intersection.  Notice the sign for Willard Bay WMA on the left.  This road is muddy, potholed, rocky, and not suitable for 2WD passenger cars at this time.  Drive north .7 miles until the Russian Olive trees close in tightly on either side of the road.  The Harris's Sparrow was on the west side, but look for other goodies in the hedgerow as well.  Chickadees, juncos, White-crowned Sparrows, and goldfinches all used the puddles in the road to bathe.

Kris