A Birding Spectacle in MN

This post is not about Utah birds, so feel free to delete now, if you wish. If any of you have extra time or $$, there is a birding spectacle going on in northern Minnesota. I was there for a short time visiting family, and on Tuesday the 28th, we headed northwest of Duluth to look for the owls. The Sax-Zim area is literally crawling with owls - Great Grays and Northern Hawk Owls. We had limited time and a 3-hour drive each way from the Twin Cities, and that left a short birding day, since the sun sets at 4:30 p.m. In just a few hours of birding, we watched 12 Great Gray Owls and 5 Northern Hawk Owls. And we could have pushed the numbers much higher, if we hadn't spent so much time watching the ones we saw. Only a couple of owls were far enough away to require a scope; the others were along the roadsides, only a few feet away. it was one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen. On the Sax-Zim CBC on Dec. 20, 70 Great Grays and 24 Northern Hawk Owls were tallied, shattering the North American CBC count for these two species.

Birders and photographers are flying in from all over the country to see and photograph the owls. You can fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul on Delta or Northwest, or into Duluth on Northwest, which cuts your drive down to about an hour. If you decide that your New Year's resolution is to see more Great Grays in a few hours than you will see the rest of your life, feel free to e-mail me for directions. Betsy Beneke is also there, and she has more time, so I expect she will see about triple the number I saw. If you decide to go, it's wise to allow a window of a few days, since the weather there can be positively polar. On days of heavy snow, fewer owls are being seen. We lucked out, and had pretty good weather, by Minnesota standards.