re: red-headed woodpecker in Hurricane

Following Glen's excellent directions, Dennis Shirley, Bryan Shirley,
and I made the drive to Wilson's in Hurricane this morning. We stopped
and asked permission of the property owners, who very kindly consented
to let us bird their property. After some searching, we found the
woodpecker in the fruit trees and on the telephone pole immediately in
front of and around the rental house. It was a very vocal much of the
time, with a call that reminded me somewhat of a belted kingfisher. We
watched it for about 15-20 minutes, during which it spent a significant
fraction of the time fly-catching and returning to the top of the pole
with its quarry.

The roads were dry and in great shape from Payson to St. George.

Lu Giddings

p.s. - Pomera's road runner was still prowling the parking lot near the
ranger station at Sand Hollow at around noon. It wandered over to within
a few feet of our truck. I offered it a Ritz cracker, but it looked at
me, swore, and walked away disgustedly. It is obviously a juvenile bird.
. . .