Fw: Rufous Robin and Red-headed Woodpepcker

This morning a group of nine of us, including the Jense's, K.C. Childs, Eric Huish, Bruce Robinson, Colby Neuman, Tim Avery, and I, saw the Rufous Robin this morning at 8:15 and between 8:45 - 9:15 a.m., at the designate place in Springdale.  We had great looks at the birds, which was a life bird for all of us.  Beautiful bird!

Later on we went to the Hurrican Sewage Ponds, then Sand Hollow and Quail Creek Reservoirs, where we saw the usual fare of birds.  We did not see the White-winged Scoter, which Merrill Webb told me he saw on his CBC count at Sand Hollow.  At the Hurricane Sewage Ponds we saw many ducks, including a Canvasback on the first pond, then again on the second pond, as it flew in with a scaup.

After Quail Creek we went toward Leeds.  In the narrows, about 50 yards before the stop sign, we stopped and looked into the creeks flowing into the reservoir.  There we saw a flock of sparrows, which included a pair of the ever-elusive Rufous-crowned Sparrow.  We had close-up looks and the eye-ring was very apparent!

We then went to Red Cliffs Campground, where we met Steve and Cindy Sommerfeld and Pomera Fronce.  We all looked for a Golden-crowned Sparrow, without success!

Just out of Leeds, as we headed north to Salt Lake City, I called Merrill Webb to find out what had happened on his CBC for Washington County.  He told me he had spotted a Red-headed Woodpecker at Wilson's Peach and Pecan Farm, which is located southwest of Hurricane and SSW of the Hurricane Sewage Ponds!!  We immediately turned around to try and find it!  We did!

Here are the directions:

Go to the Hurrican Sewage Ponds at 4300 West.  After enter the road on the east side of the sewage ponds, go south for 1.1 miles, until you come to a fork in the road.  The left fork goes to the Sand Hollow Reservoir.  DO NOT take the left fork.

Take the right fork and it will go south, then turn west.  Go 9/10 (.9) of a mile past some horse corrals, until you see a white sign that reads: "Wilson's Peach and Pecan Farm."  Leave the paved road and take the left fork, which is a dirt road.  It goes straight then quickly turns south.

Go 3/10 (.3) mile to another sign: "Wilson's Peach and Pecan Farm."

You will see a house immediately on the right.  This is a rental house and the occupant knows nothing about the property.  Immediately ahead you will see a very good dirt and rock road between a two vinyl fences that run north and south.  This road leads to the owner of the peach and pecan farm.  On the left is pasture.  On the right is about 40 acres of peach and pecan trees.  There is also a row of trees that run parallel to this road.

Colby Neuman, Tim Avery and I saw the Red-headed Woodpecker just past mid-afternoon near the entrance to this road, in about the 5th-7th tree, on the right side of the road, as it appeared to be fly-catching insects.  It then flew a short ways west into the orchard.  We were able to observe it on several occasions from the road, as it flew between the rows of trees, which ran east to west.  We did not have to enter the orchard, but could see the woodpecker from the road between the fences.

Merrill informed the woman (owner) that there might be many people come to see the bird.  She said that it was all right, but they needed to get permission from her to go into the orchard.  (This is important.)

When the bird flew the white back was obvious.  The bird is in adult plumage, and is beautiful!  Good luck.

Remember, do not go into the orchard without permission!  Thanks.

Glenn