Mixed Bag of Goodies at East Canyon

I birded East Canyon Reservoir in Morgan County today and came up with a slightly eclectic mix of goodies.  First, three juvenile SURF SCOTERS swam on the far side of the reservoir across from mile 16.5 on SR-65.  This spot is just a little south of the Taylor's Hollow area.  Two of the three birds preened and dove, which allowed me to see that their wings were completely dark.  The third scoter did not show white secondaries while resting in its head-tucked posture.  The juvenile birds aren't particularly beautiful, but I like researching the species because I'm reminded that its taxonomic name is Melanitta perspicillata.  Go ahead, say it--the name just rolls off your tongue.

I won the Merganser trifecta and logged all three Merganser species.  Six HOODED MERGANSERS (five of which were males--gorgeous) swam down near the south end.  I also saw a small flotilla of Red-breasteds and Commons throughout.  The Common Mergansers tended to use the west shore and I saw many either swimming or resting.  The males are still in that transitional plumage stage between eclipse and breeding that I believe is officially termed, 'funky'.

I came across four Red-naped Sapsuckers at the state park's main recreation area and marina.  One male sported a heavy amount of red on the crown, nape, and throat; in fact, the red on the throat looked more like a bib than it did a throat patch.  In addition, the white and black stripes on the side of the face were splattered with red as if the bird passed through a red paint splash zone.  My gut tells me this was just a plain ol' Red-naped and not a hybrid, even though I couldn't validate the presence of a black border where the red bib ended.  This particular sapsucker was also missing its retrices.  The bird didn't seem to have any difficulty hopping up the trunk without the tail prop.

The other sapsuckers working the same trees were a neat-looking male, a neat-looking female, and what I believe was a hatch-year female.  She had both white on her throat and a slightly murky cast to her head plumage.  She was also very pale across her back and wings.  The location of all four sapsuckers was between the two wooden buildings in the fenced area.

From the look of the extensive drilling and scarring high on the tree limbs, this spot has long been a sapsucker stopover (say that, three times, real fast!).  I'm not sure I would have thought to look/listen for sapsuckers this late had I not seen a Yellow-rumped Warbler dipping into sap wells on a branch.  A light bulb went off--a warbler foraging from sap wells meant that somebody had drilled there recently.  As it turned out, those sapsuckers were pretty quiet and I had to look hard to detect them.

Other birds in or around the reservoir included Mallards; Pied-billed, Eared and Western Grebes; Common Loons; a Red-tailed Hawk; a Bald Eagle; Wild Turkeys (in East Canyon); Ruby-crowned Kinglets; Black-capped Chickadees; Cedar Waxwings and American Goldfinches.

Finally, a request--could someone please go up to East Canyon and inspect all the loons?  I've looked for Pacifics until my eyes are crossed and I'm dizzy, and I only see Commons!

Kris