no Purple Gallinule since Tuesday July 27th

I spent from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 28th and from 6:50 a.m.
- 12:30 p.m. today (Thursday July 29th) watching for the PG. During
those times neither I nor any of those present saw the bird. Efforts
included watching the strip of marsh near the highway where the bird was
reported, and trips to and around the ponds and wetlands further to the
west, between the road and the boardwalk. Those who have showed up but
left unfilled during the last 36 hours include some of the most active,
experienced, and competent birders in the state. As far as I can tell,
the last sighting of the PG was during the afternoon or evening of
Tuesday July 27th. This is based on Birdnet postings and on
conversations with others who have unsuccessfully looked for it. The
bird has either left the area or is hiding in the abundant, dense
vegetation trying to avoid the masses that have gathered to admire it.

Lu Giddings