White-winged Crossbill at Brighton

Brian Currie and I birded Brighton yesterday and tried to exercise or exorcise our need to see those high-elevation birds.  We spent almost 12 hours primarily on the Lake Solitude and Twin Lakes trails.  You have guessed correctly if you thought we took the time to look at every single bird.  We were amply rewarded for our slow pace.  The exorcism part might not have worked--yesterday's trip was terrific and I might have to return.

We saw a yellow-green female WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL about 100 feet from the Silver Lake Visitor Center parking lot.  We were standing on the paved road that angles off to the right and leads to private homes.  The crossbill perched on a small dead snag and gave us good looks at the strong white wing markings.  Then she dropped through the willow shrubs to a stream.  An opening in the foliage allowed us to peek through to see her taking a drink at the end of a log.  This bird gave us the best view of any crossbill yesterday because she descended so low.

Many Red Crossbills were in the same area and further down the road.  The crossbills were very active and vocal.  They stayed high in fir trees or sometimes at the top of dead snags.  Crossbill-seekers should listen for the birds' slightly trilled or lisped, "kip, kip!" call.

This willow area seemed to be favored by--believe it or not--Red-naped Sapsuckers.  We saw a couple adults and juveniles at two different times.  The birds either picked and poked at willow branches within 3 feet of the ground or waited for Mom and Dad to deliver delectables.

Both kinglet species showed off their golden or ruby crowns.  A couple Ruby-crowned Kinglets were especially startling when they flared that tomato-red stripe at just the right angle and in good light...at eye-level.  The crown was shocking.  These little guys must not know they're not supposed to come down from the tree-tops until fall.

An inexplicable trio of Blue Grouse crossed the Lake Solitude trail at the first ski run.  The first grouse was an adult male as evidenced by his yellow eyebrow.  He quietly made his way through the grasses and kept a wary eye on us.  Two chicks followed him at a short distance.  The chicks appeared to take the same path as their leader and we believe they were together.  Perhaps that adult male isn't quite as liberated as his grouse brethren.

A Clark's Nutcracker, a Townsend's Solitaire, and a male Williamson's Sapsucker busied themselves 1/4 to 1/3 mile above Lake Solitude.  I believe the Beyers reported this sapsucker site previously.  For all you gadget gurus, the elevation was 9370' and the UTM coordinates were, X: 449068, Y: 4494837.  We saw three more Clark's Nutcrackers on the Twin Lakes side where the trail crosses through the ridge and descends to Lake Solitude.

We watched a juvenile Northern Goshawk eat breakfast.  Every time the goshawk stretched down to its feet for a beakful of the blob pinned beneath its talons, the food item stretched up red and stringy-looking.  I'm sure spaghetti must have been on the menu.  Breakfast sure looked like spaghetti--covered with a LOT of marinara sauce.  At least one other juvenile goshawk and an adult were in the area as well.

A pair of Western Wood-pewees had built a nest against an aspen trunk and about 25 feet up.  The site was surprisingly open.  The parents had used a stump of a branch on which to build their nest, and we could just barely see the back of at least one fledgling.  The adult was not disturbed by our presence.  He or she made two bug deliveries as we approached.

The most spectacular sight of the day occured at about 6:30 p.m. near Twin Lakes in a boulder and wildflower-strewn field.  A Johnny-come-lately male Blue Grouse made his way through the wildflowers displaying his dazzling panoply of breeding plumage.  He was close on the tail of a female.  The male's bright yellow eyebrows looked like thick, fuzzy caterpillars.  His air sacs were enormous, red-purple centered daisies appliqued to the sides of his neck.  The white fluffy feathers surrounding the sacs appeared to be the daisy petals and of course, the grouse's tail was a perfect, gray-on-gray fan.  The display, slow and circling pursuit, and even four separate hoots covered the span of 5 or 6 minutes.  Alas, Johhny's efforts were in vain.  Brian detected a single quail-sized chick following the hen.  The female and the chick quietly made their way through the flowers vocalizing almost imperceptible, low murmurs.  The male dropped out of sight behind a boulder and we did not see him again.  This location is about 75 yards (mountain side) from the small wooden building next to Twin Lakes dam.

Of course, we saw all those other wonderful mountain birds you'd expect--Mountain Chickadees; Hammond's, Cordilleran, and Olive-sided Flycatchers; Hairy Woodpeckers; Broad-tailed Hummingbirds; Hermit Thrushes; Steller's Jays and more.

Perhaps yesterday's trip helped exorcise that nagging feeling that the "good" summer bird activity is over. I guess I'm not quite ready for fall migrants.  I was thankful we saw REALLY good summer bird activity--a courtship ritual, parents feeding nestlings, and young birds out and about with parental escorts.  Summer ain't over 'til it's over, I guess.

Finally, if you're looking to escape the heat, Brighton should be your destination.  The temperature was 48 degrees when we arrived at 7:30 or 8:00 a.m.  I put on a brave face and faked looking comfortable to the never-wore-a-jacket-in-my-life Brian Currie, but I was freezing my pitoot off.

Kris