FW: pos. Brown Thrasher

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
It was submitted by Vjera Arnold.

Subject: pos. Brown Thrasher

Email_Address: vireogirl@yahoo.com

Message: Hello,

I'd like to report that I had a possible Brown Thrasher at the Rest Area near Crescent Junction (on the way to Arches N't'l Park) in Grand County. I believe the sighting was on Thursday, June 18th. I stopped at the rest area to stretch my legs and was birding around it. It is a pretty small spot. I was enjoying the Say's Phoebe pair, when a reddish-brown bird popped up and dove into a tangle of brambles. It was a medium-sized bird, about the size of a Scrub Jay. It was long-tailed, with a similar body shape to Scrub Jay. I was only able to see it from the back, but it was a rich reddish brown all over. When I got closer to the brambles it popped out and flew around the restrooms. I was not able to find it again. It was around 7-8 pm.

I would be interested in knowing if this is a normal time and place for this species to show up in Utah. From looking at the field guides, it appears that this is not in their normal range. However, I also see that it has been taken off the Utah review list. I was certainly surprised to see one so far west. If there is anything I could possibly have mistaken this for, please let me know as well.

I am a birder from Eugene, Oregon, spending the summer in Mesa Verde National Park.

Good birding,
Vjera Arnold
vireogirl@yahoo.com

Submit: Submit