Re: Brown Pelican?

I went down to Provo Airport Dike to see if I could find the Brown
Pelican.  I found a pelican with brown on the face, top of the head and
down the back of the neck.  In the National Geographic field guide it
has a picture of a "chick-feeding adult" American White Pelican which
looks very much like the one I saw.  Also, it says that the Juvenile
has a "brownish wash on head and neck.."  I'm thinking this is a
"chick-feeding adult" American White Pelican.  If this pelican were
seen in the evening (in low light) it could easily be mistaken for a
Brown Pelican -- that's my guess anyway.

Here a photo of the bird.

http://utahbirds.org/FeaturePage7.htm

Good birding,
Milton Moody