Lark Bunting in Weber County

Q:  What bird is black and white and gorgeous all over?
A:  It's the male Lark Bunting observed twice today in Weber County by participants in the Layton Wild Bird Center's birdwalk!

MarJean Muhlestein, LaNita Larson, Amy Owen, Joanne Cole, Jim Poulter, Liz Poulter, Caitlin Poulter, Norma Purdy and I saw a male Lark Bunting around the entrance to the private 'Rafter "S" Ranch' off UT 39 this morning around 9:00 and again this afternoon around 3:00.  The Lark Bunting is classified as a rare summer resident on the 2004 Utah Field Checklist and was a new bird for all of us.  Believe me, our excitement over the sighting bubbleth over!

The male Lark Bunting is a striking bird.  His strong white scapulars contrasted with his dark plumage as he flew across the road in front of the truck.  The bird also landed on sage, on a tall post marking a fork in the road, and on a fence post.  He gave us unexpected and excellent opportunities to study.  Not only did we get marvelous looks at the bunting, but we also listened to him while he serenaded us from a fence post.  These first sightings were on the private ranch property.  However, when we left the ranch in the afternoon the Lark Bunting was outside the gate on public land.  He teed up on sagebrush several times and we even had the opportunity to call folks back to see him.

The flock of birders inside the truck must have been strongly anticipating a second sighting in the afternoon.  While scanning the sage fields for the bunting, LaNita drew our attention to the vehicle we had just exited.  It was obvious a crowd of excited birders were in the area.  The truck was parked with front wheels cocked.  Dust dunes had collected on the back window and on the Great Blue Heron license plate.  All the doors were flung open and left just like that while the birders glued their binoculars to their eyesockets and scanned the fields.  There was no time to either park straight or close the doors before we searched for the bunting.  We were rewarded with the second sighting a few hundred feet down the road.

To reach the Lark Bunting's location, take UT 39 (I-15 Exit 347).  In the vicinity of mm 39 (approximately 35 miles from I-15), you'll see a brown sign noting a left (north) turn to Hardware Ranch.  Turn left onto that road and immediately left again on an unmarked, dirt road.  Drive .7 miles to the 'Rafter "S" Ranch' sign over the road.  This afternoon, we saw the bunting on the gentle rise to the left (south side of the road) of the gate, within 100 feet of the fence behind which lies the ranch.  For access to the 'Rafter "S" Ranch', please contact Bill Fenimore at the Wild Bird Center at 525-8400.

Kris