white-winged crossbills

At about 11:45 a.m. today Dennis Shirley and I observed two male
white-winged crossbills keeping company with a flock of about 20 red
crossbills. The birds were observed in the basin between miles 28 and 29
on the Mirror Lake highway. We had very good looks at both birds in
excellent light, especially on one occasion as they perched beside each
other in the top of a nearby conifer. The white wing bars were obvious
and clearly seen on each bird, and on more than one occasion.

The Mirror Lake highway seems to be a good place to hunt for red
crossbills this year. In addition to the large flock mentioned above, we
saw three other smaller flocks of red crossbills between Trial Lake and
Mirror Lake. Dennis saw several flocks of red crossbills in the same
vicinity last week as well.

Lu Giddings