NE Utah last weekend: Stilt sandpipers, etc.

I got back from a three-day birding escape (drive-about, if you will) in my wee Daihatsu Charade.  Finally at a computer with e-mail.  I visited the Flaming Gorge/Brown's Park areas, with a foray down into the Basin (before the hot winds drove me back north).  I was hoping for some interesting Eastern migrants funneling around the eastern edge of the Uintas, but, alas, I didn't see anything spectacularly rare.  I did have some soul-refreshing 'lone time, though, and saw a part of the world I'd not seen before.  Here are the birding highlights:

>Horned grebe:  in breeding plumage on Deseret Ranch north of Evanston (private property --contact Mark Stackhouse if interested in pursuing this pretty bird--so much more spectacular than in winter).  30 May.  (Also:  three species of owls nearby in daylight --Great horned, Short-eared, and Burrowing)
>American bitterns:  quite common in the Leota Bottoms portion of Ouray NWR, Uintah Co.  Despite it being mid-afternoon on a sunny & windy day, I must have seen ten airborne at one time or another, with four in the air at one point.  I've never been there this time of year without seeing those otherwise-difficult birds.  Just walk down the dike road.  31 May.  The Ross' goose previously reported was still there on the main auto loop (but very flighty).
>Stilt sandpipers:  three on the west end of Pelican Lake, Uintah Co.  In 3/4-breeding plumage.  Access is from the road that runs east-west north of the lake, and becomes a pretty nasty dirt road by the time it reaches the end (where the shorebirds are in the mini-delta of the creek that flows in there).  31 May.
>Eastern kingbird:  more common than Westerns at Stewart Lake WMA (by Jensen, Uintah Co.), which was otherwise worthless.

Well, that's it for the more "unusual" things.  I think my favorite moments were watching some of the common species in perfect light and seeing the spectacular geology and ecosystems of the area, seeing how it all fits together.  I found myself planning future family vacations, trying to see the place through the eyes of an eight or six year-old.  A hanging bridge undulating in the wind, flowing water next to throwable rocks, firewood for marshmallow torches, dirt roads for bicycles...

David