Ouray National Wildlife Refuge Bird Survey

Ouray National Wildlife Refuge
General Waterbird Survey
5/4/04

REMINDER:  Our Open House is this Saturday, 7:30 am - 1:00 pm.  Lots of fun things for the whole family.  Lots of birds arriving, so many distractions on this survey it was hard to keep focused.  So many distractions I listed them all at the bottom.  Upland flowers are starting to bloom also.
 The following birds were seen within the survey route:

Canada geese                 55 (first goose brood seen April 27)
Mallard                         86
Gadwall                425
Northern shoveler         35
American wigeon           3
Northern pintail                 49
Green-winged teal         63
Cinnamon teal                 71
Blue-winged teal           9
Common merganser         19
Bufflehead                   3
Ring-necked duck         18
Scaup                         19
Redhead                  46
Ruddy duck                 40
American coot                549
Pied-billed grebe            8
Western grebe                 56
Clark's grebe                 17
Horned grebe                   1
Eared grebe                 13
Great blue heron         48  (including 4 colonies)
Great egret                   1
Snowy egret                   2
B-C night heron                   4
D.C. cormorant                122
American white pelican        413
White-faced ibis          67
Killdeer                         14
American Avocet         64
Black-necked stilt         33
Marbled godwit                 12
Lesser yellowlegs         33
Semi-palmated plover           3
Dowitchers spp.                 27
Wilson's phalarope         49
Western sandpiper           9
Least sandpiper           8
Willet                           4
Black-bellied plover           1
American kestrel           5
Turkey vulture                   1
Ring-billed gull                 37
Bonaparte's gull           1
Forster's tern                 47
Caspian tern                   2

The distractions:  red-winged blackbird, yellow-headed blackbird, western meadowlark, mourning dove, spotted towhee, Bullock's Oriole, American robin, western kingbird, yellow-rumped warbler, house wren, American goldfinch, northern flicker, black-billed magpie, starling, ring-necked pheasant, lark sparrow, white-crowned sparrow, chipping sparrow, Say's phoebe, northern rough-winged swallow, tree swallow, cliff swallow (in a very active colony), mountain bluebird, Plumbeous vireo

Diane Penttila
Ouray NWR
Randlett, UT
(435)545-2522 x 223