Eurasian Wigeon

There was a beautiful male Eurasian Wigeon at Bear River Refuge yesterday (Friday, April 23) at about 1:30 pm. It was in a mixed group of ducks that included about 30-40 American Wigeons in the impoundment on the north side (across the canal) from the northwest corner of the auto tour loop. We saw it feeding in that area for about 15-20 minutes, and it didn't seem inclined to leave.

Other "good," but not rare birds that we saw yesterday included about 15 Sharp-tailed Grouse at the stateline road lek west of Portage, 6 Gray Partridge near the Nucor steel plant in Plymouth (look in the alfalfa field behind the chain-link fence NW of the plant), and several Grasshopper Sparrows in the fields NW of the plant area.

Good birding!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
801-487-9453