Fwd: [IBLE] Bewick's Swan Trip, Harlequin's Duck

This was reported on the Idaho Bird Line. Thought it might be of intrest to Utah birders. Also if anyone sees Harlequins Duck at the Ogden Nature Center, would love to know.
KC Childs

Note: forwarded message attached.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.
--- Begin Message --- I had a wonderful trip down to Farmington Bay to see the Bewick's
swan.  Bill Fenimore and Phil Douglass (Utah Division of Wildlife)
escorted Margaret Suhr and I out to see the Bewick's.  We found the
swan by watching to see which swan among several hundred would show
the most yellow on its lores when the muck ran off its bill. We found
it after about a 40 minute search.  Once we had the Bewick's pin-
pointed it put on quite a show for us.  It stopped feeding, and swam
out into deeper water and washed its head off.  Then we could really
see the distinctive large yellow pattern on the bill.  Then it
climbed out onto the ice and preened and struted about.  What fun!
All and all we watched it for at least 45 minutes.

Tundra, Am. White Pelican, N. Pintail, Cinnamon Teal, Goldeneye, N.
Shoveler, Mallard, Green-winged Teal, and a few Ruddy ducks were in
the area with the Bewick's. Bald Eagles were swabbling with Ring
Billed Gulls over dead carp and the sun was so bright that my eyes
watered.  It was a picture perfect day! And the sound of the
murmuring swans was just lovely!

I can't thank Bill and Phil enough for taking us out to see the
Bewick's.

Later in the day Margaret and I went over to Antelope Island were we
found one of the Long-Tailed Ducks that has been present at the boat
launch and along the causeway.

On Tuesday we went to the Ogden Nature Center and scared four
Harlequin Ducks off of Blackbird pond.  We did not see the ducks as
we walked up to the pond.  My first recognition that these were not
your usual inland pond ducks was their odd alarm call.  Then they
flew behind some trees and circled back over us.  At this point we
both could clearly see them and I said "my gosh are those
Harlequins!" Just as I said this Margaret was also forming this same
recognition.  In my mind the moment I laid eyes on these guys I
flashed back to seeing them fly over when I was birding in Alaska.
The white bars on their necks and breasts and the white spot on the
auriculars along with their form in fligt was unmistakeable.  But to
be sure since I had only seen them one other time, we later called
Cliff and Lisa in Island Park and had Lisa play the CD with their
call and the call of the Wood Duck just to make sure.  They were
Harlequins!  I called Bill and told him about this.  So far I haven't
heard of them being sighted again.

What a great trip!

Kathleen
Bellevue, ID