Causeway and Island Critters

I birded the Antelope Island Causeway and part of the island today.  Things
were rather quiet.  Two Long-Tailed Ducks were still at the bridge closest
to the island.  The male was in the open water on the south side of the
road; the female was with about a dozen Common Goldeneye on the north side
of the road.  There was also one female Barrow's Goldeneye at the same
bridge.  On the island, there were four Chukars by the visitor's center -
three of them were on the feeder.  The chukars soon disappeared, however, as
two coyotes were patrolling the area looking for lunch.  I watched one
coyote take prey, some kind of vole-like rodent, and munch it down like a
Wheat Thin.  The coyotes were howling, and making quite a ruckus.

At the Kaysville pond, there were still six Hooded Mergansers, along with a
flotilla of Ring-necked Ducks, Common Goldeneye, and lots of Green-winged
Teal.

Good birding,
Carol