Access To The Bountiful Landfill

On Tuesday, January 6th, Julie, Pomera and I were going to meet at the Bountiful Landfill to try for the gulls reported previously by Eric.  However, we knew that previous access had been denied whenever the manager was present.  Therefore, prior to meeting them at the landfill I called the manager to determine if we could be granted access, since we did not want to try to enter and not be able to do so.  When I talked to him he told me that birders had been there in the past and they had gotten in the way of their operation.  Another had recently refused to leave when asked to to do.  Yet another had gotten stuck in the mud on the unimproved circumference road, which required them to divert their workforce to help the person stuck in the mud.  He told me that because of this he did not want us to have access to the landfill.

I asked him if there were someone else I could talk to and he gave me the name of his supervisor, Terry Thompson, who is in charge of the Dept. of Streets for the City of Bountiful.  I called Mr. Thompson and explained to him my conversation with the manager of the landfill.  At first he tended to agree with his manager.  However, I explained the importance of the landfill to the birders in the area, because of its proximity to Farmington Bay, and many rare gulls had been seen there.  In fact, some where there right now.  I also asked him if we could arrive at some mutually agreeable rules that would be satisfactory to them and us, so we could continue to use the landfill; such as times of use, restrictions as to places of travel, etc.   (By this time I was already on my way to the landfill to meet with Julie and Pomera, and told him so.)

He told me that he would speak with the landfill manager and get right back to me.  At about the time I arrived at the landfill he called me back and told me that he had talked to his manager and they agreed that it would be ALL RIGHT for birders to use the landfill for birding purposes under the following conditions.

Rules for Access to the Bountiful Landfill:

1.  We need to come within hours of operation and check in at the office at the entrance.

2.  Do NOT go up on top where they are using the heavy equipment and where we might interfere with their operation.

3.  Do NOT block any of the roads so that the heavy vehicles and equipment are impeded in their entering and leaving the landfill.

4.  Follow any instructions that might be given  (even if it means not seeing that rare gull).

5.  Stay on designated roads.  But, when there is a thaw and the roads are muddy, stay out of areas where you can get stuck.  If you get stuck it is up to you to get yourself out.  They do NOT want to take time away from their working employees.

6.  We must leave the landfill by 4:00 p.m. (1600 hours for us military folks), so we won't be locked in.  (This was especially one of
the conditions emphasized!)

Since we have been denied access in the past, I feel this permission is very beneficial to all of us, who are looking for that rare gull.  I don't think I need to mention other rules of courtesy, etc., that would apply to us as their guests--since they don't have to allow access to the landfill.

Please observe these rules and we should be able to enjoy this valuable birding location for a long time in the future.

Thanks for reading this lengthy e-mail.  Good birding!  [I understand the Glaucous and Lesser Black-backed Gulls were again seen today.]

Happy New Year and Good Birding to everyone!

Glenn