Re: Greater White-fronted Geese at Decker Lake

Folks,

I put off all morning going to see the Greater White-fronted Geese reported
below by KC.  Finally got out to the north shore of Decker Lake about 1:15
p.m. today.  A woman by the name of Martha (sorry, I can't remember her last
name), from S.L. Audubon was also there, and we were subsequently joined by
a gentleman with binoculars.

When I arrived and got my scope set up, Martha said she already had the
G.W-f Geese in her scope.  I quickly acquired them in my scope.  They looked
exactly like the birds shown on the Sibley's Western (page 67).  We were
concerned that they might be Graylag Geese (as shown on page 65 of Sibley's
Western, but we confirmed that they were indeed what KC had identified.  We
noted the white front just behind the beak, which was quite prominent.
Their beaks were a pink-orange color.  In particular, we noted the dark
barring on the bellies of both birds, which was also quite prominent.  The
legs were orangish.  Especially, we were able to identify quite clearly the
white markings on the tips of the tails.  We looked at them for about 10-15
minutes.

Thanks KC for posting.

However, while our attention was diverted to other similar geese, which
looked somewhat like these, but were larger and had very short tales and
white on the their bellies (there were 6 of these birds), the two Greater
White-fronted Geese must have flown.  Because when we went back to look at
them again, they could not be found.  We looked for quite awhile, without
success.  I apologize to those I called (and I tried to call you back), but,
unfortunately, the two birds seemed to have disappeared.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Glenn