Red Cliffs Audubon September Field Trip

Greetings

Saturday, October 11, 2003, eleven birders from throughout Southern Utah set
forth on our first outing of the fall to the Pahranagat National Wildlife
Refuge, on US 93, in Lincoln County, Nevada. In all, 63 species were seen at
three main stops: Glendale, Nevada; Warm Springs, NV; and Pahranagat NWR,
NV.

Glendale:
Several species seen at the bridge where SR 168 crosses the Muddy River
shortly after exiting I-15. Just up the road, heading North, we encountered
7 Eurasian Collared-Doves in a combination of Cottonwood and Palm trees. On
the return we saw a lone Phainopepla. Just out of town, we saw a Ferruginous
Hawk on a power pole.

Warm Springs:
We drove through this area on our return from the refuge. Seven species seen
from the road. Of interest:
Gambel's Quail
Northern Mockingbird
Western Meadowlark

Pahranagat NWR:
54 species seen here. Of importance, an encounter at the North end of the
Upper Lake, in dense riparian habitat (mature Cottonwoods and Willows), with
a Wood Thrush in the company of two Swainson's Thrushes. Seven people saw
this bird, as it was very accommodating, for a period of 5 minutes or so.
Two of the people familiar with Eastern birds, knew it right off. This could
be a first for the Refuge, and while it is on the Nevada State List, there
have been limited encounters.

Also in the "woods" were three large owls, two unidentified - fleeting
glimpse, the other a Barn Owl.

Other birds of note:
Clark's Grebe - becoming very common now. I saw over 40 on the Overton Arm
of Lake Mead a week back while fishing for Strippers. Two pair did their
head bobbing and courtship dance. At the refuge, there were a pair that also
did the courtship ritual and "danced" on the water.
American White Pelican
Great Egret - no band.
Snowy Egret
Gadwall
Northern Pintail - 100s
Canvasback - too many to count also
Redhead
Sandhill Crane - 40+ in flight at some distance East of the refuge.
Baird's Sandpiper - 1
Long-billed Dowitcher
Red-naped Sapsucker
Loggerheaded Shrike
Winter Wren - 1
Marsh Wren
Common Yellowthroat
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 1

The weather was suburb, good company, and exciting birds. A great trip.

Bill Hunter
St. George, Utah