Re: Dowitchers at Bear River Refuge-Box Elder County

Bridget:

We had a Greater Yellowlegs during the Wasatch Audubon trip that I led on Wednesday 6/25 at my Tri-State marsh property West of Corrine, South of the Thiokol Hwy. and North of the Bear River Duck Clubhouse.  It seemed early to us for a returning bird.  However, it may not be based on your Dowitcher observation.

We had a dozen adult Snowy Plovers and several pair with chicks.  It seems to me that the drier years benefit the Snowy Plovers keeping more of their habitat available to them.  I have had them nesting on this property for the last 16 years that I began keeping records.  Drier years show a higher percentage of nests and nesting success.  Their were many Stilts and Avocets all with chicks it seemed, as well as Killdeer.  We also had Common Yellowthroat.  They nest here too.

Regards,

Bill Fenimore
Wild Bird Center
1860 North 1000 West