Ouray

Today, I saw the Indigo Bunting at Ouray in the exact location that the Beyers reported it a couple of weeks ago.  But my favorite birds of the day were 3 American Bitterns.  I heard one while I was on the auto-tour route just as the road turns parallel to the Green River.  When I got out of my car, I was met by 50 or so mosquitos.  I was in a t-shirt and shorts and had no bug repellent making me an irresistable snack.  They drove me crazy and quickly drove me back into my car.  Luckily, I was able to spot the bittern from the car after driving 100 feet or so.  I got one photograph off, before the mosquitos noticed and tried to get me through the window.  I watched the bittern do its call/song thing and was fascinated.  I had never seen a bittern doing its song, and was fascinated by how it fast it moved its head up and down.  Also, it was interesting to watch it open its bill and do a gargling motion with its throat before it performed its song. Was it sucking in air?
I flushed two more American Bitterns when I stopped my car just outside of Leota Bottoms next to the closed gate. Awesome.

I couldn't find the Green Heron or the Black Terns, but was able to see the other cool birds previously reported by the Beyers. I also saw a Peregrine Falcon just outside of Ouray on a telephone pole and two Caspian Terns flying over Leota Bottoms.  Wilson's Snipe were also 'winnowing' by the observation tower and also in the area was one lone Long-billed Dowitcher.

I also made a stop at Jordanelle wetlands and saw 2 Gray Catbirds.  Some of the other 'better' birds were 3 Western Wood Pewee's, 2 Plumbeous Vireos, 2 Warbling Vireos,  and many Cedar Waxwings.

Last but not least I saw the Bobolinks in Heber Valley.

-Ed Conrad

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* _______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org Birdnet: To subscribe, e-mail: birdnet-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdnet-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdnet@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________