Clark's Grebe at Decker Lake

This morning when I got to Decker Lake I noticed two pair of Grebes on the lake. One was a Western Grebes out in the center of the lake. The other one was out in the center and the other was close to the southern shore. Then I noticed a man walk along the shore and it didn't dive just stayed where it was, so thinking that was odd, I went over to investage it. When I got to where it was I knew that it was caught on something in the water and couldn't free itself. It was about twelve feet out in the water, so being the way I am, I couldn't just walk away from it. So I pulled up my pant legs and took off my shoes and waded out into the lake getting well above my knees it the water before reaching it. It was thrashing around trying to peck at me. I reached under the water and found it's leg, pulling it up to where I could see it and saw that a fishing hook was caught in one of the toes. I finally got it free trying to stay away from a very pointed beak. As soon as it was free, it pulled it's leg out of my had and went into the center of the lake with the other one. It wasn't the first time I have found fishing line or hooks in birds. But normally they are laying dead on the shore. I wish there was something that could be done to make fishing people more resposiable. I only know that I saved that birds life today, even though I got very cold and wet. It was the first time I have been so close to a grebe. Their feet are very different from a ducks and it was very vocal when I got close to it. I'm sorry to keep talking but I wanted to tell someone about it, I had to.
Thanks for be there to tell.
Jack Holley
955-7818