SLC Hooded Oriole, Red-throated Loon

I just finished with the 5-Grouse tour (we did see all five of Utah's
grouse, all displaying), and have a couple of good birds to report. We
saw a total of 172 species on the one-week tour in Utah, and I will post
a complete trip report tomorrow when I get back from a quick overnight
to Deseret  Ranch today.

First, we saw the Red-throated Loon on Hyrum Reservoir at about 12:30 on
Saturday, after the snow and rain had stopped. It was on the far side of
the lake from the boat ramp area amongst lots of Western and Clark's
Grebes.

Second, and I thought equally surprising, was an adult male Hooded
Oriole which we saw in the upper Avenues area of Salt Lake City at about
11:30 am yesterday, April 29. The bird was calling and moving around in
the upper parts of several large trees in the yards of homes on both the
north and south sides of 18th Avenue just west of the junction with
Terrace Hills Dr. I can't recall any other Salt Lake County records for
this species.

Good birding!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse