Swan

Hi Everybody:
I drove to Mona reservoir this morning and scanned the hundreds of ducks
geese and coot.  The wind was blowing and the water was a bit on the
rough side so I could have missed the Black Scoter.
I was unable to find it.  I went to Burriston Ponds and found Common and
Red-breasted Mergansers on the last pond.

I birded my way to the "Secret Pond" north west of Goshen.  It was 10:40
AM. There were five Trumpeter Swan on the pond.  I studied my manual.
One had a black neck band with A E  on it.
The black that extends to the eye from the beak was as wide as the eye.
On the Tundra it is more narrow than the diameter of the eye.  The top of
the upper mandible was quite straight, not curved down like the Tundra.

To get there follow State Hwy. 6 about one half mile past Goshen, going
west, to the first oiled road going north.  It comes to a "T" end in
about 1/2 mile. Turn left on the dirt road and drive to the gate, about a
block.  The pond is straight ahead.
Good Birding
Reed

Only $9.95 per month!