Birders' Revenge

Greetings!

You may remember Julie VanMoorhem's posting from a few weeks ago about the birds of Utah County pitching a 5-0 shutout against us.  Well, we decided to give it another try on Friday.  Little did the birds know what was in store for them when we brought in our secret weapon in the form of Merrill Webb.  We happened to cross paths with Merrill in Provo as he was pondering how he was going to fix the flat tire he had just gotten and still get in a day's worth of birding.  Lucky for Julie and me, he decided the flat could wait and came with us.

At the Flying J near Springville, we saw a number of Great-tailed Grackles sitting on top of an SUV.  At Timpanogos Wastewater Treatment Plant, there was a nice assortment of ducks including Gadwalls, Green-winged Teals and a lone Cinnamon Teal.  On the east side of Foothill Drive at about 4100 North (Dover Drive) in Provo, there was a Lewis's Woodpecker on a telephone pole.  Also in Provo, we saw two big flocks of American Crows, one at an LDS church on Timpview Drive (650 East) and 2875 North and the other on the big expanse of lawn west of the temple.

It was nice to get twenty something birds to add to the new year's list.  I guess we evened the score.  Just to echo the many sentiments already expressed - birders are the nicest people!

Pomera