Forward: Short-eared Owl

From: Andy Peterson
Date: Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 09:58:45
Subject: Short-Eared Owl
Email_Address: andypeterson@ci.ogden.ut.us

Ed posted on 30 Dec. that he had found several Short-Eared Owls near the entrance to the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. Thanks for the tip! I drove out there last night at 4:00, and spotted a flock of SAGE GROUSE about 1\2 mile before the entrance in a large field to the south of the road. I counted 5 of them and 2 HEN PHEASANTS. The whole area seemed to be crawling with pheasants. Saw 8 roosters cross the road in front of me in the same area.
At 5:10, as I was on my way back home, I spotted the SEO about 1/4 mile East of the entrance. He (or she?) was perched on one of the signs that proclaim the area to be federal ground and huntable according to their rules. The owl stayed there for a long time. I even was able to set up the spotting scope and get a really good look at the face. AWESOME! Thanks ED!
Also saw a BLUE HERON at the spillway at the entrance, and along the route from town counted 8 HARRIERS. They seemed to be in pairs, and didn't seem too worried about my car. Had one pair fly so close (and slow) over the top of me that I could see where their talons joined their feet! Great day, and it was FREE!
Thanks to everyone that keeps posting. You have taken me to the field many times when I can't get there myself.

Andy

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com