Saltair Birds (gulls)

After going to Farmington Bay, I decided to stop by Saltair this afternoon. I too saw the Long-tailed Duck in the same area as before. However, the gull flock contained a few more interesting gulls. There was an adult Glaucous Gull that was easy to miss when it was sitting down or behind other gulls. I also found two first-winter Glaucous-winged type gulls. The first one was feeding away from the main gull flock with a couple of first-winter Herrings. Without getting into too much detail, this bird had a very pale (almost white) head and chest in comparison to the rest of the bird's body. It was definitely not the typical overall coloration that one would expect for a GWGU. However, the primaries and tertials appeared to be the same color as the scapulars, coverts and lower underside of the bird. Also, the underside of the wings appeared translucent when the bird lifted them. After viewing this bird for a bit, I went and chased down Terry Sadler who had driven by earlier. When we returned to look for the gulls, we were only able to find the Glaucous Gull. Eventually Terry had to leave and I decided to view the gulls that were on the ponds on the other side of the freeway (to the southeast of the marina). I then found another Glaucous-winged type gull. Unlike the first bird, this gull was nearly uniform in color. It eventually flew over and joined the gull flock on the mudflats. From a distance (300 to 500 yards) both these birds seemed to be reasonable candidates for pure Glaucous-winged Gulls. However, the lighting today was not good to say the least. I also know a closer and more detailed observation needs to be made for both of these birds due to the high probability of hybrids occurring. Anyway, this gull flock continues to have a high turnover rate so hopefully a few more good gulls will make an appearance this winter.

THE BEST OF GOOD BIRDING!!!

Colby

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf