RE: Do meadowlarks occur here in the winter?

Out at the ISSR (on the south shore of GSL), I have Meadow Larks year round, as well as Red-winged blackbirds, marsh wrens, and Horned Larks (Ella Sorensen tells me there are larkspurs in some of those winter flocks). Occasionally killdeer, greater yellowlegs and avocet stay the winter.

-----Original Message-----
From: qrs2@email.byu.edu [mailto:qrs2@email.byu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:22 AM
To: birdnet@utahbirds.org
Subject: Do meadowlarks occur here in the winter?

Hi all,
I am originally from Idaho where no real smart birds stick around for the
winter since it is so cold.  It is mildly cold here as well and I was therefore
surprised to hear lots of meadowlarks singing early last Saturday morning out
west of Utah Lake near the Nutty-Putty caves.  I know I was surprised to see
killdeer last winter and I was wondering if some meadowlarks do hang around
year round in Utah.

Thanks,
Quinn Shurtliff