East Canyon Reservoir

We also visited East Canyon Reservoir today.  In addition to the Common
and Barrow's Goldeneyes and the Hooded and Common Mergansers, we saw a
Pacific Loon (southern end), a Common Loon (middle), Clark's and Western
Grebe, a female Long-tailed Duck (northeastern arm) and a female
White-winged Scoter (northeastern arm).  By the dam we saw what at first
appeared to be a Red-necked Grebe, but after prolonged examination
through the scope we decided it was a juvenile Pied-billed Grebe.  It had
a  reddish neck with barring on the face (very similar to a juvenile
Red-necked Grebe), but it had a short, thick bill (which it seemed intent
on keeping hidden in its back feathers) and a faint white rump, which
indicated that it was a rather late juvenile-plumaged Pied-billed Grebe.
Maybe this was the same bird that Bob saw?

Mountain Dell Reservoir in Parley's Canyon had both Common and Barrow's
Goldeneyes, and at George Washington Park (east end of Mt. Dell Golf
Course) we saw a Great Horned Owl and a Ruffed Grouse.

Joel and Kathy Beyer