Re: virus problem

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Jim & Beanie wrote:

> For the past several days I have been getting email from birdnet
> participants, not from the birdnet, with attachments, loaded with viruses.

I'm glad to hear that the viruses aren't from the birdnet mailing list
itself! (After several spam and virus incidents earlier this year, we had
to take serious steps to secure the mailing list. So far, those efforts
seem to be working. The logs reveal numerous attempts to send spam and
viruses to the mailing list, but so far we appear to be blocking those
attempts.)

> Here is a copy of the last email I got.  The file toa.scr is a virus.  Is
> anyone else having similar problems?  Does anyone know what these attached
> files are?  (No I am not attaching the files.)

Many recent viruses are activated when e-mail is viewed with Microsoft
e-mail clients. When invoked, the viruses search through your list of
recent correspondents, then forward the e-mail (with viruses) to the
addresses on that list. They often identify the forwarded e-mail as being
from (an unsuspecting) address listed in that list of addresses.

My advice: If you use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail, be sure to get the
latest patches from Microsoft, and be sure to disable any automatic
processes that are started up when you open e-mail. (E-mail clients from
other than Microsoft seem to be less susceptible to viruses.)

If you use Microsoft Windows, be sure to install a virus scanner to guard
against viruses.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Weldon Whipple
postmaster@utahbirds.org