LEE KAY PONDS

I visited the Lee Kay Ponds for the first time last Saturday afternoon.  According to Bob Walters of DWR, Lee Kay was a former Chief of Information and Education at the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.  Lee Kay is considered to be the father of hunter education in Utah.

This new nature preserve consists of a fenced-in string of ponds, ~1 mi long and about 100 yards wide, on the south side of California Ave, west of Salt Lake City (see map below). There is a large gazebo on a rise overlooking the preserve and a loop road running around some of the ponds with several interpretive signs.  It is open Mon - Sat from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m, except Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years Days .  At least it's supposed to be.  It wasn't open last Saturday afternoon when I arrived before 5 p.m.  You might want to check with Jill Fletcher of the Salt Lake Valley Waste Management Facility http://www.pw.slco.org/solid/index.html) for exact times before going:  (801) 975-2375.

However, it isn't necessary to go into the preserve itself to view.  You can see all the ponds easily from the road.  Here's a list of what I saw (that I can remember):

Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
Ruddy Duck
Eared Grebe (2)
Horned Grebe (2) - the first I've ever seen in UT, presumably migrants
Pied-billed Grebe (1)
California Gull - a mixed flock of ~200 birds feeding voraciously on I know not what
Ring-billed Gull                                "
Starling

I saw no shorebirds, but it's getting late.  Unfortunately there's not much in the way of mudflats, but there are a couple of areas that might flood in the spring.

This area has definite potential and should be watched during migration and breeding seasons.

There are several well-established patches of cattails and phragmites (naturally occurring) around the ponds.

The raised landfill areas behind the ponds might attract Short-eared and Burrowing Owls, Harriers and other raptors.  Also, there is a very large rubbish hill in the SLVWMF itself, on the north side of California Ave., where there were hundreds of gulls swarming.  Gull enthusiasts might be able to access that hill with permisssion.

Warning!  There is considerable vehicle traffic on California Ave. (trucks and pickups with waste entering and exiting the SLVWMF), so it pays to keep a wary eye out.  But it's easy to pull off on the shoulders.

Finally, there are recycling bins (newspaper, glass, corrugated cardboard, plastic, etc.) in the SLVWMF.  So you can go birdwatching and recycling at the same time - a real ECO trip!

Jim McIntyre