The Big Sit

Hi everyone, Yesterday KC and I participated in The Big Sit. On October 13th people all around the country (and in other countries) sat in one place and counted the birds they saw. I had always wanted to try a big sit. It is not very scientific like the CBC, it is just for fun, and is more relaxing than a Big Day. I enjoyed it. Check out The Big Sit web site at- http://members.aol.com/nhbirdclub/bigsit.htm

We could only count birds we saw or heard from a 17 foot diameter circle. We decided to sit out at Lincoln Point(Utah Lake, Utah County)near the orchards along the side of the road. We sat from 7:15 AM- 2:00 PM and went out again from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM. We saw a total of 42 species. Most interesting was Merlin, Herring Gull, RN Duck and Bufflehead. We had lots of misses I thought we would get such as Canada Goose, RT Hawk, Starling and Magpie to mention a few and We saw a Forster's Tern and Lincoln's Sparrow when we stoped there the day before that didn't show up for our count.

Species List:
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clarks Grebe