Lawrence's Goldfinch still present 10/03

This afternoon (10/03) at approximately 12:30 - 1:00,  I relocated the
Lawrence's Goldfinch found yesterday by Steve Summers.  It was in the large
sunflower patch at Chekshani Cliffs, Iron Co. UT (See Steve's post below for
detailed directions).  The Lawrence's Goldfinch often perched in the large
shrubs/small trees along the north edge of the field (on both sides of the
road) between flights out into the sunflowers. There was a Sharp-shinned
Hawk patrolling the area and keeping the many Pine Siskins, Sparrows,
Lesser, and American Goldfinches stirred up. With some patience I was able
to pick out the Lawrence's Goldfinch in the swirling flock (flight call,
color, and white in outer tail feathers were distinctive).
Kevin Wheeler and I returned this evening from 5:30-6:30 but were unable to
locate the Lawrence's Goldfinch.

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

----Steve's original post-----------

This afternoon (Oct. 2) a little before 2 p.m. I saw a winter adult male
LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH at Chekshani Cliffs in Iron Co., UT.  I saw this
distinctive bird briefly but well. Chekshani Cliffs is about 2.5 miles south
of Kanarraville, Iron Co., Utah.  Turn on 1925 South off Old Hwy. 91. Turn
right on Chuwl Path and follow this to Tu-ee Trail. Turn right on Tu-ee
Trail and you will almost immediately go through a field full of sunflowers.
This is where the bird was.  There are hoards of Pine Siskins and Lesser
Goldfinches and sparrows here to sort through. The black face, both above
and below the bill, yellow breast and gold in the wings were very evident.

Steve Summers
Cedar City, UT