Lawrence's Goldfinch (Iron Co.)

This afternoon (Oct. 2) a little before 2 p.m. I saw a winter adult male LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH at Chekshani Cliffs in Iron Co., UT.  I saw this distinctive bird briefly but well. Chekshani Cliffs is about 2.5 miles south of Kanarraville, Iron Co., Utah.  Turn on 1925 South off Old Hwy. 90. Turn right on Chuwl Path and follow this to Tu-ee Trail. Turn right on Tu-ee Trail and you will almost immediately go through a field full of sunflowers. This is where the bird was.  There are hoards of Pine Siskins and Lesser Goldfinches and sparrows here to sort through. The black face, both above and below the bill, yellow breast and gold in the wings were very evident.

Steve Summers
Cedar City, UT