WBS Southshore

Waterbird survey for 3 September 2002 - last one of the season! 7:00-10:00.  South shore (east of SaltAir, west of Airport - general vicinity of 10200 West and I-80) approximate 5 mile stretch.

Bob Huntington, Deedee O'Brien, and Ann Neville

Eared Grebe 			1000 (there were thousands more on the water far away)
White Pelican			1
Great Blue Heron			1
Black-crowned night heron	6
White-faced Ibis			4
Canada Goose			1
Mallard				6
Snowy Plover			11
American Avocet			2,177
Willet				2
Long-billed curlew		2
Marbled godwit			2
Spotted Sandpiper			1
California Gull			259
Ring-billed Gull			25
Franklin gull			248
Gull sp.				19,023
Duck sp.				27

most of the gulls were California Gulls, but with that many and as shy as they were today - we lumped them.  We did tease out all of the Franklin gulls.  Big drops in Franklin's, Avocets and Snowy plovers this week - shorebirds moving out and ducks moving in!  Well they may not be on the shoreline, but they are definitely on the ISSR!  Also saw a couple of nighthawks very near the beach and a Peregrine. Tune in next year for another round of WBS!

All the best birding,
Ann Neville
Wetland Manager
HSEQ - ISSR