Froward: Common Black Hawk

From: Bob Showler
Date: Friday, August 09, 2002 at 13:31:16
Subject: Common Black-Hawks

On Tuesday, August 6, Lonny Boring and I saw two Common Black-Hawks along the Virgin River, about 1/4 mile north of the Zion Lodge in Zion National Park. One of the hawks disappeared after an initial sighting, but the other remained perched for 15-20 minutes in a large cottonwood tree along the river. It periodically let loose with its call, which sounds very much like that of an Osprey.

There had been two previous reports of black-hawks in Zion Canyon earlier this summer. While this bird is a regular nester at Lytle Ranch, it is rarely reported for the Zion NP area. We found no evidence that the birds are nesting, but given the dense cottonwood forest in Zion Canyon, it seems very possible.

Bob Showler
Zion National Park

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com