Forward: "Rufous Peace in Panguitch"

From: Cathy Woodard
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 at 23:11:44
Subject: Rufous Hummingbirds
Email_Address: pvl@scinternet.net

In reference to the recent posting about Rufous Hummingbirds not sharing: We have had them at our feeders for at least 8 - 10 years and as stated in the posting, they have never been willing to share. However, this year is different. We have a dozen or more Rufous, even more Black-Chinned and Broad-Tails coming to our three feeders. The first week or so, the Rufous were standing guard over all three feeders and attacking all who came near. This past week, all of a sudden, they have become sharers even going so far as to share the same perch with others without regard to species or sex and lining up on the deck rail to await their turn. We have been watching in utter amazement and can't explain the phenomenon, but we're enjoying it.

Cathy Woodard
Panguitch

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com