Dixie Birder's Field Trip to Upper Kolob Plateau

Greetings.

Several Dixie Birders met early Tuesday morning (7/16/02) at the McDonald's
in Hurricane, Utah, chowed down, and were in the field by 7:30AM. Our first
stop atop the Upper Kolob Plateau was at Blue Springs Reservoir. Not much
water, but still an interesting array of birds. Then we proceeded down to
the base of Lava Point and hiked several miles of the West Rim Trail, in
Zion NP, with it's Mountain Chaparral and Ponderosa Pine (Yellow Pine)
Forest habitats. Of course a side trip to Sawmill Springs, our primary
objective, was in order.

Following that, we went back up into the Spruce/Fir Forest and toured Lava
Point before heading into the valley between Blue Springs Reservoir and
Kolob Reservoir. Since it is a valley formed by Kolob Creek, I will use that
as it's designation. Our last stop was at Kolob Reservoir.

We began the day in the field at 7:30AM and ended it at 6:30PM. A total of
52 species of birds were seen, as well as several mammals. No bears. Only
one of our several target birds were identified however; Red Crossbill.

Here is a breakout by location:

Upper Kolob Plateau...
    Road in: Western Scrub-Jay
    Blue Springs Reservoir: Ring-necked Duck (3), Osprey (1-feeding while
perched on dead snag), Red-tailed Hawk, Golden Eagle, Gambel's Quail,
American Coot, Northern Flicker, Western Bluebird and Mountain Bluebird.
    West Rim Trail: Red-tailed Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, Blue Grouse (1-
female), Band-tailed Pigeon (2), White-throated Swift, Northern Flicker,
Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, Stellar's Jay, Clark's
Nutcracker (4+), Common Raven, Mountain Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch
(2), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (2), Western Bluebird (16+ just movin' through),
Virginia's Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler (1), Green-tailed Towhee and
Dark-eyed Junco (Gray Headed).
    Lava Point: Wild Turkey (5)
    Sawmill Springs: Turkey Vulture, Peregrine Falcon, Great Horned Owl (1),
Dusky Flycatcher (6-adult feeding young from insects found by Nuthatch),
White-breasted Nuthatch (2), Chipping Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco (Gray Headed)
and Red Crossbill (1-female).
    Kolob Creek Valley:  Turkey Vulture (18, 5-feeding on dead calf), Blue
Grouse (2-male/female), Red-naped Sapsucker (2-juveniles), Western
Wood-pewee (8-one adult feeding juvenile), Dusky Flycatcher, Western
Kingbird, Common Raven, Violet-green Swallow, Western Bluebird, American
Robin, Lark Sparrow, Brewer's Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird and Cassin's
Finch.
    Kolob Reservoir: Double-crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Turkey
Vulture, Mallard, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon,
Spotted Sandpiper, Mourning Dove, White-throated Swift, Downey Woodpecker,
Northern Flicker, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, Common Raven,
Tree Swallow, White-breasted Nuthatch, House Wren (2), Mountain Bluebird,
American Robin, Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's), Western Tanager, Chipping
Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow and Dark-eyed Junco (Gray Headed).

Hope to see you on our next outing.

Bill Hunter
St. George, Utah