Parasitic Jaeger at Deseret Ranch

There was an adult, breeding plumaged, light morph Parasitic Jaeger at Neponset Reservoir at
Deseret Ranch on Thursday afternoon, June 13. I have a day trip there tomorrow (Saturday - space
is available), where I'll be checking to see if it's still there. It seemed pretty content
harassing the thousands of gulls there, so maybe it'll stay awhile. If it appears to be staying,
I'll arrange a time to take people there who wish to see it sometime next week (Wednesday
afternoon may work best for me) at no charge. I'll keep you posted on developments.

The jaeger is a new species for the ranch, bringing the ranch list to 263 species. It's the
second jaeger species recorded on the ranch, following a Long-tailed Jaeger which was
photographed by Steve Chindgren, also at Neponset Reservoir about fifteen years ago (I can't
recall the exact date). There have been a number of rare birds on the ranch in recent weeks, and
three species new for the ranch.

Among them are:

Whimbrel
Parasitic Jaeger - new for the ranch
Black-throated Blue Warbler - new for the ranch
American Redstart
Louisiana Waterthrush
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - new for the ranch

Good birding!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.