Forwarded Message - Roadrunner in SE Utah

From: Scott Seltman
E-mail: sselt@gbta.net

Last Sunday, 26 May, a large group of birders attending the Durango meeting of the Colorado Field Ornithologists wandered over into extreme SE Utah. We found a Greater Roadrunner sitting atop a tree adjacent to the Hovenweep HQ parking lot just w. of the CO/UT line. It was "cooing" periodically,
was holding a dead lizard [unknown species] in its beak and sat there "displaying" for over one hour. It was seen again by a second fieldtrip the following day.

Our question is: How exceptional is this sighting?? Range maps
suggest that the species is normally found nowhere near this site; there is just one old [1954] record from the SW corner of Colorado. We realize that SE Utah probably isn't visited often by Utah birders as there are perhaps no unique state species to be found down there.

Scott Seltman
RR1 Box36
Nekoma KS 67559
sselt@gbta.net