Mark's Mystery Place

I got 2 e-mails concerning Mark's mystery place and the Ovenbird.  Here
they are; smaller one (last one) first:  ~Milton

(from Barbara Watkins)

Bob Huntingdon, Bob MacDougall and Barbara Watkins went to Lucin on
Saturday to hunt for the ovenbird.  (We understand this is where Mark
saw the bird, but he is out of town for about five days.)  We saw the
other birds, including the Lewis woodpecker and a Virginia's warbler,
but no ovenbird.  We were there from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

(from Mark Stackhouse)

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner! Yours is the first correct guess I've had this
morning - I'll let it go a bit longer to see if anyone else can guess.
I'll send a note with the answer before I leave for my tour this
afternoon.

The BBS is in the south end of the Grouse Creeks, at Bovine Mountain
and the surrounding flat, including a part of the old transcontinental
RR grade. It's a beautiful place, and had some excellent birding. The
spot twenty miles south is Lucin, and that's where the Ovenbird was.
I'm
always amazed by how far north "southern" Utah birds go west of the
Great Salt Lake. I was struck by the fact that I birded the area for
the entire day without seeing any introduced species of birds. I didn't
see my first one (a starling) until I was on my way home after 6 pm.

I have a tour this afternoon, so I'm really busy today .... [etc.]

Good birding!

Mark